Emperor’s Black Heart:
5:03 p.m. | Updated LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Company, in a move that gives it a commanding position in the realm of fantasy movies, said Tuesday it had agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. from its founder, George Lucas, for $4.05 billion in stock and cash.
The sale provides a corporate home for a private company that grew from Mr. Lucas’s hugely successful “Star Wars” series, and became an enduring force in creating effects-driven science fiction entertainment for large and small screens. Mr. Lucas, who is 68 years old, had already announced he would step down from day-to-day operation of the company.
Oh, how horrid! Can you imagine? Leia as a Disney Princess! Every scene involving magical talking animals? Lessons about the power of friendship? EVERY MOVIE WILL BE A NEW STAR WARS CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!
Snark aside, while Twitter is predicatably blowing up about this, I’m not terribly worried. It might even be good. They might reset the Expanded Universe, which after the horror of the Yuuzhan Vong and the New Jedi Order would be a good idea, and is absolutely mandatory for the garbage Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series that came after. After all, the stories are more or less done, it’s not like they’re really going to make any new movies–
In a hastily convened conference call with investors Tuesday afternoon, Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said the company plans to release a seventh “Star Wars” feature film in 2015, with new films in the series coming every two or three years after that. Mr. Lucas will be a consultant on the film projects, Mr. Iger said.
I have a bad feeling about this….